CEREC SAME-DAY CROWNS
Dental crowns are an effective way to restore a tooth that’s been broken or severely compromised. These restorations may also be used in cases where there is significant damage to the tooth’s chewing surfaces. With many traditional dental offices in the area of Fairlawn, Ohio, patients will need to schedule at least two visits to complete the process. This CAD/CAM cutting edge technology is known as CEREC which is faster, easier and more convenient to offer same-day crowns for patients in the community. Thankfully, Dr. Chegini and her team at Arsmiles Family & Cosmetic Dentistry have invested in this unique technology.
What does CEREC stand for?
CEREC is an acronym that stands for “chairside economical restoration of esthetic ceramic.” This technology utilizes digital impressions and specialized CAD/CAM software to provide same-day permanent restorations such as crown, veneers or inlay and onlay – while patients wait! The machine will mill the desired restoration out of a block of porcelain within less than an hour, allowing the dentist to prepare and place the dental crown during the same appointment. This saves everyone time and money while ensuring a quality restoration for the patient’s smile!
What can I expect from my CEREC crown appointment?
- Evaluation. First, Dr. Chegini will determine if you need a dental crown. During this examination, she will look at the patient’s existing tooth and decide if it could benefit from placing a restoration for extra strength and protection if the structure is compromised.
- Preparation. Preparation of the tooth begins with the removal of the outer layer of enamel from the tooth. This is done to make room to place the dental crown without unnecessary bulk and with an optimal esthetic outcome.
Cerec Same day services
- Digital impressions. A special handheld device called Omnicam is used to scan the mouth and obtain three-dimensional images of the prepared tooth. The CEREC software then creates a virtual model of the patient’s tooth, which is used to design the porcelain cap or crown. The restoration is created digitally before milled with the CEREC milling device.
- Milling. The machine utilizes a block of porcelain to create the new dental crown. The metal-free crown is made while patients wait, often in less than an hour. This eliminates 1) the need for taking the dental impression and sending it out to a dental laboratory, 2) The placement of a temporary crown since there is no need to wait for the final restoration, and 3) A separate appointment for the final crown cementation. Patients remain in the chair while the milling is being completed at the convenience of our office.
- Placement. Once the restoration has been milled from the CEREC device, the dentist can bond the restoration into place. The dentist will ensure the fit and function is proper, allowing patients to leave the dental office with their new restoration without scheduling a second appointment or dealing with a temporary restoration.
How do I learn more about CEREC dental technology?
Dr. Sima F. Chegini and her team at Arsmiles Family & Cosmetic Dentistry in Fairlawn, Ohio, are here to help patients achieve beautiful and healthy smiles that function at their best. If you need a dental crown or other restoration for the teeth, call her office at (330) 593-2500 to schedule an appointment. The office is conveniently located at 2640 West Market Street and is open to new patients of all ages!