Tooth extractions are a routine dental procedure done for both children and adults. At Arsmiles Family & Cosmetic Dentistry in Fairlawn, Ohio, we offer adult and pediatric tooth extractions,without any pain or discomfort and will make your experience easy and uneventful. If the tooth is very compromised and the crown portion of the tooth is missing and the root is the only structure left behind, or if due to severe tooth decay the coronal portion of the tooth is weak and would break if pressure applied to it, then the tooth should be sectioned and the roots need to be taken out surgically. Therefore extractions could be divided to simple and surgical based on the condition of the tooth and the most conservative way to get them out. It is up to the dentist’s discretion, what would be the safest and less traumatic procedure to perform to get the entire tooth removed and preserve the jaw bone.
When might I need the removal of adult teeth?
Many situations could arise requiring an extraction of an adult tooth or a baby tooth. Below are just a few of the reasons why these recommendations could be made:
- To prepare prior to an orthodontic treatment when overcrowding is an issue
- To remove a baby tooth that will not come out on its own and is blocking the eruption of a permanent tooth underneath
- To extract adult wisdom teeth, also known as the third molars, which are known for being problematic for patients
- Impaction of a permanent tooth underneath the gum line (usually pertains to wisdom teeth or an extra supernumerary tooth)
- To remove a tooth severely damaged from tooth decay
- To remove a tooth that has mobility, bone loss, deep gum pockets and periodontal abscess due to severe periodontal disease
- To remove a tooth with a vertical fracture secondary to trauma that’s nonrestorable
When might a dentist recommend extraction of primary teeth?
The primary teeth, or baby teeth, are the teeth everyone loses throughout their childhood to get the permanent teeth to come through. Your permanent teeth are already in your mouth and come in behind these baby teeth. However, there are times when a dentist may need to intervene and extract the primary tooth if it’s delaying the eruption of a permanent tooth or causing it to erupting sideways. During a consultation appointment, the dentist will advise when extraction of primary teeth may be needed to move forward with the new set of adult teeth if the patient has overcrowding or to prepare prior to the orthodontic treatment.
How do I learn more about adult and pediatric tooth extractions?
Fairlawn, OH, area patients who believe they may need a tooth or teeth extracted are encouraged to book a consultation visit with our Arsmiles Family & Cosmetic Dentistry team. Call (330) 593-2500 to request a visit at 2640 West Market Street, Suite #302. The practice has availablity for both new and returning patients and families, and we offer a wide range of comprehensive dental services for children and adults.